How facial recognition works
Facial recognition is the process of identifying or verifying the identity of a person using their face. It captures, analyzes, and compares patterns based on the person's facial details.
- The face detection process is an essential step as it detects and locates human faces in images and videos.
- The face capture process transforms analog information (a face) into a set of digital information (data) based on the person's facial features.
- The face match process verifies if two faces belong to the same person.
Why facial recognition, then?
Facial biometrics continues to be the preferred biometric benchmark. That's because it's easy to deploy and implement. There is no physical interaction required by the end-user. Moreover, face detection and face match processes for verification/identification are speedy.
What is facial recognition used for?Here are the top three application categories where facial recognition is being used.
1. Security - law enforcement
This market is led by increased activity to combat crime and terrorism.The benefits of facial recognition systems for policing are evident: detection and prevention of crime.
- Find missing children and disoriented adults
- Identify and find exploited children
- Identify and track criminals
- Support and accelerate investigations
Significant advances have been made in this area. Thanks to deep learning and face analysis, it is already possible to:
- track a patient's use of medication more accurately
- detect genetic diseases such as with a success rate of 96.6%
- support pain management procedures.
This area is undoubtedly the one where the use of facial recognition was least expected. And yet quite possibly it promises the most.
- Know Your Customer (KYC) is sure to be a hot topic in 2020.
- This important trend is being combined with the latest marketing advances in customer experience.
- By placing cameras in retail outlets, it is now possible to analyze shoppers' behavior and improve the customer purchase process.
Design and development [eml-protected] Analia Das Vinhas
Commercial and marketing [eml-protected]